Friday, August 13, 2010

Chicken Alphabet Soup

Yep it's August. But there is a hint of fall in the air in the mornings. And I don't really care what season it is, I guess. So, I made soup for supper tonight. I've had this one marked for a while as well. We are having it with the leftover butterhorns from last night.

Chicken Alphabet Soup
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
1 tbsp olive oil
2 quarts chicken broth (which is 8 cups...I used homemade chicken stock yummmmmm)
3 cups cooked cubed chicken breast
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 cups uncooked alphabet pasta
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley (I left this out...like I said in a previous post, it's just extra green stuff that makes the kids think they won't like it.

In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery, and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, chicken and thyme. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in parsley. 10 servings.

Have you ever seen/heard of Martha Speaks? It's this show on PBS with talking dog...her owners gave her alphabet soup and now she can talk. I asked Nathan if he was going to be able to talk after he ate this soup, just like Martha. You could tell he didn't really know how to answer me. Of course Nathan & Emma did not want to eat this. Emma did fine her first two bites then, surprise, she was full! So weird how that happens. Sam ate all his without a word, which he is getting good at and which blesses me every time. Nathan didn't want anything but the chicken, but he had a few bites of noodles and A carrot, under duress. So yet another peaceful dinner time has passed at the Page house...

No comments: