Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cider Pork Chops

Aaaah fall cooking! I love it! Even though it's August, I got my Sept/Oct 2010 issue of Simple and Delicious and this is the first recipe I have marked to try out of it. I haven't seen cider in stores yet, but it says you can make it with apple juice too so that's what I'm doing. If it's very yummy I'll make it with cider next time.

Cider Pork Chops
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 bone-in pork chops
1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup sliced celery
4 green onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 cup apple cider or juice

In a large ziploc bag, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add pork chops and toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown chops in oil. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the celery, onions, garlic and thyme for 2-3 minutes until crisp-tender. Return pork to pan. Add cider. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-8 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160. Serve with slotted spoon.

So this wasn't bad. We had it with mashed potatoes and sugar snap peas. All the kids ate the pork chops, which should make it a success. There just wasn't anything spectacular about it. I have other pork chop recipes I like better. So while it was a fine meal, I don't think I'll keep this recipe.

No comments: