Monday, August 30, 2010

Apple Bran Muffins

I wanted to make these because they sounded like a recipe my mom used to make back in the day. I was reasonably sure that nobody would like them except me. But hey, family, I cannot be accomodating 100% of the time! Ha ha ha. But I am happy to say that everyone except Nathan liked these! Which is as good as it gets around here, pretty much, since Nathan doesn't like much outside the chicken family. From Taste of Home Aug/Sept 2010.

Apple Bran Muffins
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups All-Bran cereal
2 cups shredded peeled apples
1 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out. Walnuts are my least favorite nut.)
1 cup raisins

In a large bowl (and it should be large--mine almost wasn't big enough) combine first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the milk, eggs, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in remaining ingredients. Fill greased or paper-lined muffins cups 3/4 full. Bake @ 350 for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes back clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. 24 muffins

Obviously you could halve this recipe if you didn't want to make so many. But then you might feel like it wasn't worth it to buy the All-Bran. I still have over half the box left. There is a cookie recipe on the All-Bran box, how impressed would my family be if I made All-Bran cookies? Hahaha. You could also freeze a bunch of them, or give them away. We gave some away and the rest we will finish up in the next couple of days. So another keeper.

No comments: