Monday, September 13, 2010

Beef & Cheese Foldover




This is kind of like a pizza, but with a biscuit crust. And no tomato sauce. It's from the Fall 2010 Kraft Food & Family. That my sister gave me because I'm not paying for it. While this is a new recipe, I have noticed that a lot of the things in this magazine are repeats. That's one of the main reasons I decided not to pay for it when it stopped being free. The other reason is that sometimes it seems like one big commercial. They always want you to buy Kraft this and Kraft that. When I write the recipes down for you guys, I never put the brand name in because I don't care about that, I am not a compensated endorser. Anyway...
Beef & Cheese Foldover
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp steak sauce
1/2 cup hot water
2 cups all-purpose baking mix (they didn't say Bisquick so they must not own that one)
1 cup shredded mexican cheese (or, if you are all out of Mexican cheese, like we are, use shredded cheddar)
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
Heat oven to 375. Brown meat with onions in large skillet; drain. Stir in corn, ketchup, and steak sauce; set aside. Add water to baking mix; stir until mixture forms dough. Shape into ball. Place on lightly floured surface; knead 5 times or until smooth and no longer sticky. Roll into 12-inch circle; transfer to baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Spoon meat mixture onto center of dough; spread to within 2 inches of edge. Fold edge of dough over meat, leaving center uncovered. Bake 20 minutes. Top filling with cheese; bake 5 minutes or until melted. Sprinkle with parsley.
So this was pretty good. I don't usually have good luck with dough, and I did have to add one extra tablespoon of water to the Bisquick to get it to form a ball. Once it was done I cut it into wedges and put it on the plates. Sam picked his up like a piece of pizza and was ready to chow down and I was like "BE CAREFUL! Keep that over your plate!" Because I could just see him taking a bite and the whole thing falling apart. Steve really liked this too. Nathan hated it. He acted like I was trying to poison him. I pointed out that Sam and Emma were eating this and liking it, so it couldn't be bad. He literally gagged on the one bite we made him eat. He hasn't been feeling well though so maybe it's just that. Anyway this was pretty easy, and besides the Bisquick I didn't have to buy anything for it. And now I have this whole box of Bisquick. So we'll probably have this again at some point.

No comments: