Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Easy Morning Waffles

Wahoo this is our 300th post!! Very exciting. So this recipe is called "Easy Morning Waffles" but we never have breakfast stuff like this for actual breakfast. I'm too groggy and cranky. Also I don't have a waffle maker. When trying to make homemade waffles, a waffle maker is basically a necessity. Well my mom had two, hers and my grandmother's, so today I met her in a parking lot and she gave me my grandma's. I don't know if it's for keeps or if it's for temporary. But my sister has acquired many a thing from my mother by this method..."Can I borrow _______" so we will see what happens, hee hee. This waffle iron has removable plates for easy washing, so I am very happy about that. For those of you who know of my love/hate relationship with my George Foreman grill, you will know that this is very important to me. This recipe is from the August/September Simple & Delicious.

Easy Morning Waffles
2 cups flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/4 cup oil
3/4 tsp vanilla
Syrup:
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (very hard to do by hand...I just whipped them around for a few minutes, until my arm was tired, then added them in...I was too lazy to get out my Kitchen Aid just for that); fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions (dang, I don't have those. Because it's possible the waffle iron is as old as I am...the plug doesn't even have a prong or one of those flared ends...so no hope of getting manufacturer's directions...my mom said just heat it til it's hot, spray with cooking spray at the beginning but not in between batches, and then leave the cover down until steam stops coming out...anyway I predict it's going to work fine for many more years because they don't make appliances like they used to...) until golden brown. In microwave, melt the butter, honey, and cinnamon, stir until smooth. Serve desired amount of waffles with syrup. Arrange remaining waffles in a single layer on sheet pans. Freeze overnight or until frozen. Transfer to freezer bag. Pour remaining syrup into freezer container. Waffles and syrup may be frozen up to 2 months. To reheat frozen waffles and syrup: Reheat waffles in toaster (not my friend Amanda's brother's dog, whose name is Toaster. That would be gross). Microwave syrup until heated through and serve with waffles.

So these waffles came out basically perfect. I thought I would freeze what was left and have them for other meals, but there really weren't that many left, and we can just have them for breakfast tomorrow and finish them off. So one thing: whenever I make pancakes, I pile them on a plate as they are done and cover them with another plate to keep them warm. This is a method I learned from my mom and it works great for pancakes. But it doesn't work well at all for waffles. They got kind of squished. My mom said this morning that she always put them on a cookie sheet in a warm oven to keep them warm without them getting squished. So this is definitely a keeper; in fact I have already put it in my recipe binder. So so good.

No comments: