Thursday, September 9, 2010

Plum-Good Pork Chops

What a dumb name. They are calling it this because it uses plum sauce. This is a chinese-food type ingredient. They do not have it at Walmart. I ended up getting it at the Natural Living Center, but I don't know if they have it at Shaw's or Hannaford or not. The jar of plum sauce I got has the label in both English and Chinese. So you know this is the real deal. This one is from August/September 2010 Simple & Delicious.

Plum-Good Pork Chops
4 bone-in pork chops
2 tsp canola oil
3/4 cup plum sauce
1/4 cup orange juice
5 tsp soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp minced fresh gingerroot (you can mince this in your Pampered Chef garlic press...if you don't have one I don't know how you do it...I bet you could also substitute ground ginger...this was sooo cheap, $0.18 for 2 little chunks)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 pkg (12 oz) broccoli coleslaw mix
1 medium carrot, grated
2 green onions, chopped
2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted

In a large skillet, brown chops in oil. Combine the plum sauce, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, mustard, ginger, and pepper; pour over chops. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove pork chops and keep warm. Set aside 1/2 cup sauce mixture. In the same skillet, cook the coleslaw mix, carrot, and onions over medium heat until crisp-tender. Serve with pork chops; drizzle with reserved sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

I did not use the coleslaw mix. I followed the recipe up until that point, and then skipped all that. We had ours with rice and carrots, which I made separately, then I did sprinkle the pork chops with sesame seeds at the end. This was pretty good. Steve said it smelled like a Chinese restaurant in here, and I think it was a compliment. Ha ha. So pretty easy. The plum sauce was kind of expensive, okay really expensive, $4.59 for the jar, which contains 1 cup. Since it was clearly made in China, and according to the label had no preservatives, I decided not to save the remaining 1/4 cup. So it was yummy for a change, but I guess not the type of thing I'll be adding into my regular rotation. If you happen to have plum sauce laying around, it might be a nice way to use it up.

No comments: