Monday, September 6, 2010

Cheesy Beef-Corn Chip Skillet

My sister came up this past weekend for Nathan's birthday and she brought a few magazines with her, including the Fall 2010 Kraft Food & Family. You may remember that this used to be a free magazine that I got in the mail, but once they started charging for it, I stopped getting it. But my sister ordered a subscription and so now I still get to read them. Between my last post and this one, you can see I have a pretty good racket going right now. So anyway I had to make a couple of modifications since this was a last minute choice for a recipe, which I will note as I go along. It's basically tacos with corn chips instead of shells or tortillas.

Cheesy Beef-Corn Chip Skillet
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 cup water
1 pkg taco seasoning
2 cups corn chips (I had some leftover from our Storyland Minivay, plus used a few tortilla chips crushed up)
1/4 lb Velveeta, cut into cubes (I didn't have this on hand. It's probably better that way anyway. I used shredded taco cheese)
2 cups shredded lettuce
2 tomatoes, chopped (we used salsa, because I didn't have fresh tomatoes. I don't really like them, anyway)

Brown meat with onions in large skillet; drain. Add water and seasoning mix; cook as directed on package. Cover meat mixture with chips and cheese, cover. Cook on low heat 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with lettuce and tomatoes.

The little comment that the magazine posted with this recipe says "Classic comfort food. A household of adults dug into this like a bunch of kids." Well, not a bunch of MY kids. Also this quote is not signed with someone's name. The attribution is: a cook. Like she doesn't want us to find her to tell her that our kids wouldn't eat it. Ha ha. Well obviously we knew Nathan wouldn't want this AT ALL so we gave him good old PB & J. He still fought us to eat that, so maybe the spirit of rebellion was in the air or something. Sam and Emma did like it, so yay. There were no leftovers, which I think is a good thing because the corn chips would have gotten soggy and the lettuce would have gotten gross. Definitely a keeper! We love taco night at our house, but there is always a lot of clean up involved. The only thing this lacked was refried beans, which we always have with our tacos. But it's always messy. So anyway I liked how this was all in one skillet, which I plunked down onto the dining room table and doled servings from. No carefully packing shells hoping they don't break, no toothpicks to hold together Emma's soft taco so the filling doesn't come out, etc. Just a spoonful on your plate, and the only variation between plates was salsa vs no salsa. A very good meal.

No comments: