Monday, February 20, 2012

Chicken & Bacon Tart

This is mostly a pizza, even though it has "tart" in it's name. It is on a sheet of puff pastry so I guess that's why they call it that. It's from the new Simple & Delicious mag that I got last week, woot! There are a lot of good ones in this one that I am excited to try. We had this with our guinea pig family, although all the kids (except Sam) had chicken nuggets and applesauce instead of this. I just knew they wouldn't like it so I didn't even try.

Chicken & Bacon Tart
1/4 lb bacon strips, cut into thirds
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 pkg (9 oz) ready to serve roasted chicken breast strips (I happened to have a coupon for this so I did get it, but you could totally just cook a chicken breast and cut it into strips)
1/4 cup jalapeno pepper jelly (at the Brewer Walmart this is by all the other jelly, on the top shelf...it's red, which I thought was weird)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a bit more)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp minced fresh parsley

Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp in a large skillet. Remove to paper towels. Saute onions and apples in bacon drippings until tender. Stir in the chicken, jelly, thyme, and salt.

Unfold puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 10x9 inch rectangle (the brand I bought was practically this size already). Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick with a fork.

Spread chicken mixture over pastry to within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Press edges with a fork, forming a decorative border.

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Add bacon strips to top; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley.

Oh my word. So so so good. If you have been reading this blog for any length of time, you know I don't like spice. The jalapeno jelly was just delicious, not even spicy. It did make my lips tingle a bit but didn't taste spicy at all. The flavor of the "tart" was so good. Seriously good. We will definitely have this again. Yum.

No comments: