Saturday, February 18, 2012

Orange Chicken

People have been giving me recipes lately. It has been nice because usually if someone shares a recipe with you it's because they really like it and they think you will too. That is not the kind of service you get from this blog, since I give you the good, the bad, and the ugly, but when your friends take the time to write out (or type out) a recipe and share it with you, they're usually good recipes. Unless they are playing a mean trick, but I haven't run into that yet. Now that I thought that I am going to be a bit more skeptical when someone gives me a recipe...hmmmmm. Like if someone gives me a recipe for haddock with mayo I will not try it, and I may throw up a bit as well. However, this delicious one came from my friend Jodi at church, who was not trying to trick me and probably doesn't have a tricky bone in her body.

Orange Chicken
4 flattened chicken breasts
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 tsp paprika
salt & pepper
oil for frying

Mix crumbs, flour, paprika, salt and pepper and coat chicken with it. Fry in hot oil til done. Mix juice and marmalade together and pour over chicken. Let thicken. Serve over rice.

I put way too much oil in the frying pan, but I'm glad I did because the chicken came out crispy and perfect. So instead of adding the orange mixture to the pan with all the oil in it, I put the orange mixture in a smaller skillet and transferred the chicken over there once it was done. This came out so fabulous. It was almost like the orange chicken you get for Chinese food, but without that fatty batter that's on it. What is that batter called? Tempura, maybe? Well it doesn't have that. This was so easy and so good. All the kids loved it, which is a rarity here. We will definitely have this again!

No comments: