Saturday, February 25, 2012

Loaded Breakfast Potatoes

But you can have them for supper if you want. That's what we did tonight. We have breakfast for supper a lot here, since I can never get my act together enough to actually have breakfast for breakfast. Plus my mom and my grandma did it a lot, too. The first time my dad had dinner at my mom's house, when they were "courting," my grandmother served pancakes and bacon. Love it. Apparently my father was taken aback, and said that at his house, that's what they had for breakfast. I can't remember what my grandmother replied. Apparently my grandmother on my dad's side had it together in the mornings. You can see which side I got more DNA from, then. We had this with "cheesy eggs," which is just scrambled eggs sprinkled with cheese. This recipe is from the latest Simple & Delicious.

Loaded Breakfast Potatoes
1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, cubed
1/4 lb bacon strips, chopped
3/4 cup cubed fully cooked ham
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place potatoes in a microwave safe dish and cover with water. Cover and microwave on high 4-5 minutes or until tender (this recipe must have been tested in a lightning microwave. It took mine almost 20 minutes to get tender). Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Drain potatoes; saute in bacon drippings until lightly browned. Add the ham, cheese, salt, pepper and bacon. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted.

These were really good. Next time I am going to add hunks of onion in, because that's the only thing I thought was missing. A very yummy breakfast. I mean supper.

No comments: