Saturday, February 4, 2012

Oreo Cheesecake Cookies

Even home run hitters strike out a lot. That's what Steve says to me when I don't laugh at his jokes. Usually I think he is hilarious, especially if I am tired. That's when he is at his funniest. But sometimes he says something and I don't laugh at all. And that "home run hitters" line is his self defense. So I am using that line and applying it to this recipe. Not like I'm such a great chef or anything, but we have had a lot of good recipes lately. I guess I was bound to get a bad one. To protect the innocent, I will not be naming the source of this recipe. But doesn't the name of the cookies make it sound like they would be so yummy? Well, I guess I can't even really say if they were yummy or not, since they appeared inedible and I didn't even try one. But read on.

Oreo Cheesecake Cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup oreo cookie crumbs

Preheat oven to 375. Cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugars and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add flour and combine well before adding chocolate chips. Scoop dough into 1" balls and roll in cookie crumbs. Place balls 2" apart on cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges just start to golden. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.

I completed all the steps. When it was evident things were going badly, I went back and reread the ingredients and directions several times. I did everything right. When I was rolling the dough into balls, it had a good consistency, not too dough-y or anything. But once they were in the oven something happened to them. Even though I placed them 2 inches apart, they started to melt and merge all together, and bubble and boil. Pretty soon there was one big mass of cookie on the cookie sheet, with the edges where the cookies should have been divided being especially browned and hardened. Thank God I used a baking stone, I have heard the Pampered Chef people say you can't burn a cookie on a baking stone. If I had used a metal cookie sheet I am sure I would have thrown it away rather than try to scrape the burned mass off.

Usually you can salvage a cookie recipe. But these looked just terrible. I had been planning to bring them to home fellowship. I had no time to make anything else, so instead I ended up buying tortilla chips, salsa, and cheesy poofs. The kids were happy about it, but I was mad about the waste of ingredients and then the money spent on replacement snacks. Oh well. I guess that's the risk you take when you make a recipe for the first time for a big get-together. Sigh.

No comments: