Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lentil Soup

I've never had, or made, lentil soup. I had some lentils left from another recipe a while back, and didn't have to buy anything to make this soup, so I decided to try it. It's from the Everything Soup cookbook.

Lentil Soup
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed very thoroughly
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp butter or oil
1 tbsp tarragon (it doesn't say dried or fresh, I had dry and used 1 tbsp, I think it was too much)
1 tsp paprika
1 bay leaf
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth

In a large saucepan or soup pot, melt the butter (or warm the oil). Saute the onion for 5 minutes on low heat. Stir in the tarragon, paprika, and bay leaf. Add the lentils. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Discard the bay leaf. Using a blender or food processor, puree the mixture (I used our new blender and it worked great). Reheat for 5 minutes.

Well. Nathan and Emma did NOT like this. To be fair, it did look like baby poop. They didn't even want to try it. Sam & Steve LOVED it. They shoveled it in with their bread pieces and it was gone in no time. Me...I liked it at first. The more I ate of it the less I liked it. I had to add salt at first because it was so bland. Then by the time my bread was gone I tried to eat some bites of it, but all I could taste was the tarragon. Maybe I feel about tarragon the way Jill & Melissa feel about cilantro, I don't know. I just couldn't eat any more of it. Not a keeper, but at least I'm not out anything.

No comments: