Thursday, March 22, 2012

Parmesan Butter Pan Biscuits

These are the biscuits we had with the chowder I just posted. I love biscuits a lot. Every year for my birthday I ask my mom to make them. I occasionally dabble in biscuit making but am nowhere near as good as she is. Part of the problem is I HATE rolling out dough, so if I make biscuits, I make drop biscuits, which are not really amenable to being split and then liberally bathed in butter and jam, like I do when mom makes them. But this biscuit recipe is a good cross between the two. Not quite as easy as drop biscuits, but you don't have to roll them and cut them out either. You'll see what I mean. This is another recipe from the cookbook from my mother in law, LOL Treasury of Country Recipes.

Parmesan Butter Pan Biscuits
1/3 cup butter
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp basil leaves
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I didn't have any fresh, so just did a sprinkle of dried)
1 cup milk

Heat oven to 400. In 9" square baking dish, melt butter in the oven (3-5 minutes). Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine all ingredients except milk. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 10 times or until smooth. Roll dough into 12" x 4" rectangle (I didn't roll it out, I patted it out to the right size). Cut into 12 1" strips. Dip each strip in melted butter. Place in same pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.

I'm sure you can guess how good these are. Emma is my bread lover, but surprisingly, she didn't like these. Just as surprising is that Nathan did. They tasted good dipped in the broth. I think Emma would have liked them better if they could have had more butter put on them, but I think that would be tricky with this set up. I'm going to keep this one, but next time I make it I'm going to leave out the herbs and see if they taste more like my mom's.....

No comments: