Thursday, March 22, 2012

Apricot Honey Chicken

I had some apricot preserves left over from my so-called "Sweet and Sour Brownies" from last week, ha ha. So this was a perfect recipe to add in this week because I didn't have to buy any ingredients. I always make at least one new thing each week, but if there is a recipe in my Simple & Delicious that I don't have to buy anything for, and that looks good (of course) I will throw that into the meal plan too. This one looked like it would come together really easy, which is why I made it yesterday, because we had wrestling practice, then I was home for what seemed like 10 minutes (but is really like an hour and a half) before going to work. This is from the April/May 2012 Simple & Delicious.

Apricot Honey Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup honey mustard
3 tbsp apricot preserves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Dash each salt and pepper

Flatten chicken to 1/4" thickness. Combine the mustard, preserves, ginger, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the chicken on a greased foil-lined baking sheet. Spoon half of the mustard mixture over the chicken. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 4 minutes. Turn over; brush with remaining mustard mixture. Broil 3-4 minutes longer or until juices run clear.

I made the "mustard mixture" before I went to wrestling, so when I came home I just had to preheat the oven, throw the chicken on the pan, and proceed from there. Although easy, it was unfortunately not that big of a hit. I love honey mustard, but I don't think the apricot was a good pairing. It seems so obvious now. But those cooking magazine pictures make almost everything look good! So hard to know...everyone ate it but nobody loved it. There is one piece left that I guess I will put into a salad for myself next week.

No comments: