Friday, March 16, 2012

Hearty Ground Turkey and Vegetable Soup

A soup like this you cannot have all the time, because the amount of sodium would likely be lethal. However, this soup was SO easy. Looking at the recipe, I knew I could throw it together quickly, even on a so-called zombie night (after I've slept something like 10 hours out of 56...). So yesterday I made this one. Besides the sodium content I don't think it's too bad. It reminds me of a childhood staple of mine which we call goulash, but other people call chop suey. Macaroni, hamburger, and a can of tomato soup. Yum. Now that I'm a grown up I add chopped onion and worcestershire sauce. And I use whole wheat pasta. It's so yummy. We have it every couple of months, and the kids love it too. This soup is the last recipe I have marked from the Everything Soup cookbook. Now that I'm done with it, I'm putting it in the Goodwill bag. I can't even remember where it came from, so hopefully nobody's feelings will be hurt. I put all the good recipes in my keeper book, so it's kind of like it's going to live forever. Or something.

Hearty Ground Turkey and Vegetable Soup
1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 16 oz can green beans, drained
1 16 oz can diced potatoes, drained
1 16 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
Salt (are you kidding me??) and pepper to taste

Brown the turkey in Dutch oven until cooked through (it doesn't tell you to drain the fat here, but I did). Add the onion and green pepper (I added these when the turkey was about half way done, because I like the onions to get a little bit brown). Mix in the green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, and tomato soup. Heat until warmed through, about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This was so yummy, and so easy. Definitely keeping this one. I even think my sister is going to make it (with modifications--hamburger instead of turkey, and leave out the tomatoes). I won't make it often, but I will make it sometimes. Comfort food.

No comments: