Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mom's Pancakes

This is most definitely not a new recipe. In fact, it's probably the first recipe I ever learned. These are the best pancakes ever. They are from an ancient cookbook of my mom's. She has been making pancakes this way our whole lives. Except like twice when she tried to be sneaky and use Bisquick when we were out of an ingredient or when she was trying to be faster. But you cannot pass off Bisquick pancakes as these pancakes. They even looked different on the plate and we instantly knew, and were very accusatory, i.e. "are these from a MIX??" in a mortified tone. My kids love these and Emma makes them with my mom sometimes. I am putting them on the blog today because my sister texted me and asked me to email her the recipe again. I told her "I already gave you the recipe once. You should write it down if you like it so much." To which she replied, "why don't you just put it on your blog so I can get it when I need it?" She has cookbooks, I don't know why she can't write this on a paper and stick it in the front of one. But oh well, since I aim to be a service-oriented blog, here is the recipe. It's mostly for Jessica but any of you can feel free to make it if you want to.

Mom's Pancakes
2 cups flour (these days I use half white and half whole wheat pastry flour...the WWPF is so light you can't even tell...back when I was using all purpose wheat flour you could tell)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
2 cups sour milk (just in case you don't know, you make sour milk by putting 2 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar into a 2 cup measure, then filling to the 2 cup line with milk)

Mix all ingredients together using a wire whisk to get all the lumps out. Fry on a hot griddle.

Growing up we sometimes had these with blueberries. My kids don't like them like that but sometimes I will make 3 or 4 with blueberries for me. For the rest of the pancakes I add about 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips. If I give them pancakes without chocolate chips they are very sad children.

If any pancakes get flipped onto the floor inadvertently, those can be Dad's. It's possible that is what we did if our flipping went awry. The first time mom let me flip pancakes, I flipped one onto the (clean) floor. We scooped it up real quick but I was so upset. Mom said it was fine, that one could be Daddy's, because he doesn't care if it fell on the floor. It is now a long-standing joke when we drop anything off the plate, or frying pan, or whatever. We call out "That one's Dad's!" I estimate this practice has been going on for 20+ years and he is still fine.

So there you go, Jess (and whoever else). Best pancakes ever.

2 comments:

phyllis said...

Whole milk or1%?

NewRecipeNight said...

I use 1%, mom always did too...