Monday, March 19, 2012

Black Bean Sliders

I made some black bean burgers a while back, and thought they were rather bland. This recipe is from my sister-in-law, the same girl who gave me the Best Banana Bread recipe I posted last month. They have been vegetarians for years and years so she knows how to make yummy food like this. Black beans are so cheap, like $0.88, compared to like $4 for a pound of hamburger, so that is a good reason right there to sub them in for things, not to mention the health benefits and all that. Don't get me wrong, I still love meat and chicken. But I am loving other things too. Especially saving money.

Black Bean Sliders
1 14 oz can black beans, drained (reserve the liquid)
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1 egg
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup corn
1/4 cup cilantro (even though I love cilantro I left that out...I just didn't have any)
2 tbsp olive oil

In a large bowl combine everything except corn and black beans. Add the black beans and corn and mash with a fork until still chunky. If it is too dry, and the reserved black bean liquid a little at a time until it is like a thick paste. Let the mixture rest in the fridge for a few minutes. Shape into patties and let side in the fridge for 15 minutes. Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add the oil. Cook the burgers for 5 minutes on each side. Serve on buns with toppings like salsa, sour cream, or guacamole (we used just the salsa).

These were really good. Sam was at a birthday party so missed out. Nathan refused to even try, even though he watched me make them. Emma was convinced she wouldn't like them. She even tried tears, but I would not relent, because she has eaten so many things with corn and black beans and liked them. I told her she had to take 6 bites, and she took 8, and admitted that it was good. Steve and I both liked them. There are varying opinions of meatless "burgers." Here's mine: if you are looking for a meatless burger to substitute for a meat one, you will probably be disappointed with every one that you try. But if you try it as something new that happens to be in burger form, you will like them. Because they are yummy. And don't forget cheap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my advice to anyone that's gunna try a meatless burger is: condiments! -Dawn