Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Salisbury Meatballs

There are some things I post on here that I am embarrassed to admit that I made, ate, and loved. This is going to be one of those recipes. But I don't keep anything back from you guys. The second I saw this one in the new April/May Simple & Delicious, my mouth started watering. It is so so bad for you. The sodium content alone. The meatballs. But I was right, it was oh. so. tasty. Also, we had some green beans with it. So that helps a little bit. And it's not like we eat this type of food every night. Did you notice how my meatless category is growing??

Salisbury Meatballs
1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp butter
2 jars (12 oz each) beef gravy (I used 2 packets and made them by the pkg directions...way cheaper, and just as salty, so no worries there)
1 pkg (12 oz) frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs, thawed (in my defense, I already had these in the freezer left over from another recipe...another reason I jumped to try this one, because I already had the most expensive ingredient)
Hot cooked egg noodles

Saute onion and brown sugar in butter in a large skillet until onion is tender. Add gravy and meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve with noodles.

Oh my. The kids always keep track of who "wins" dinner. Not the best eating habit, I realize, but it seems harmless enough, no one is stuffing their face trying to be first or anything. Usually it goes Steve, Sam, me, and then Emma or Nathan. When Emma or Nathan finishes first, it is noteworthy, because it is rare and usually only happens with things they LOVE like chicken parm or pancakes. For this meal, I finished first. I threw up my hands in victory. Emma said, totally deadpan, "Wow. That has never happened before." It's not like I stuffed myself either, in case you are picturing me in an unflattering light right now. I had a reasonably sized portion, and ate it without really talking (what?) in between bites. I thought it was totally fabulous. I realize this is on the same level, healthwise, as like Hamburger Helper. But I don't care. Once in a while, I am going to make this.

No comments: