Thursday, March 1, 2012

Southwest Chicken Pockets

We had this last night. It was great. We love stuff like this. Favorite genre lately. The chicken bacon tart that I made last week used puff pastry, and it comes in a package of 2, so I had one left to make this recipe. This recipe is from the latest Simple & Delicious.

Southwest Chicken Pockets
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
1 pkg (9 oz) ready to serve roasted chicken breast strips (once again you can just cook and chop a chicken breast)
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped (on Take Home Chef I saw a great way to seed a tomato so that was no problem for me)
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, divided
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
salsa for serving

Saute onion in oil in large skillet until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the chicken, beans, tomato, and 1/4 cup chilies.

Roll puff pastry into 14 inch square on a lightly floured surface (this was tricky and I couldn't get it all the way out to 14 inches, I think mine was maybe 11). Cut into 4 squares. Spoon chicken mixture into the center of each square; sprinkle with cheese (I forgot to do that!). Brush egg over edges of squares. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Pinch seams to seal. Transfer to a greased baking sheet and brush with remaining egg. Bake at 400 for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Combine sour cream and remaining green chilies in a small bowl. Serve the sour cream and salsa with the pockets.

We did not have this with sour cream. And since I forgot to put the cheese inside the pockets, I sprinkled it on top once they were done. These came out so good. Yum. I made peanut butter sandwiches for the little ones, because such yumminess is wasted on them. Also I only used about half of the filling (probably because I couldn't get my squares rolled out to the right size) so now I have enough left to make chicken nachos with. Yum again.

No comments: