Monday, March 25, 2013

Baked Honey Mustard Chicken

I really like honey mustard with my chicken nuggets, or in a wrap.  So this recipe sounded like it would be yummy.  From $5 Dinner Mom.

Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used chicken breasts because I almost always have them already)
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup honey
3 tbsp prepared spicy brown mustard
1 tbsp vinegar
1 1/2 cups white rice
2 1/2 cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.  Place the cut chicken pieces into prepared baking dish.  Add the peppers and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, and vinegar.  Pour over the chicken and peppers and toss lightly. 

Sprinkle the rice over the top of the chicken and peppers and pour the hot water over all (I used brown rice and increased the water to 3 cups...and I boiled the water first to decrease the cooking time).  Cover the baking dish tightly with foil.

Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken and rice have cooked through (since I used brown rice, and because rice always seems to take longer, I didn't check it until 1 hr and 10 minutes and it was perfect).  Fluff lightly with fork before serving.

This was pretty good, but I wished I had served it with bread or rolls or even a salad or something.  It didn't seem quite like a complete meal.  Everyone liked the chicken and rice, and almost everyone ate around the peppers.  Steve said he thought it was a keeper, but I'm not sure.  Good but not great...

No comments: