Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I've probably made recipes like this a dozen times.  I just really like them.  And even though I have a couple of my favorites saved in my keeper book, the seasonings on this one sounded so yummy that I wanted to make it.  This is on a page torn out from my mom's All You magazine.  Because it's all about me.

Pulled Pork Sandwiches
4-6 lb boneless pork butt (gross, but at least you can't tell by looking) excess fat removed (SO gross, and I'm so thankful for my sharp birthday present knife...it came off like buttah)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp powdered mustard
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic (I crushed 4 cloves)
1 cup barbecue sauce (I used Bullseye Kansas City Something [with a lick of sticky molasses])
1/3 cup apple cider (I didn't buy this because we always have apple juice.  And then today we didn't!  So I thought, What Would Jill Do?  And I used unsweetened applesauce instead)
1/3 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
8 hamburger buns (I split and grilled ours so the juice wouldn't soak in too fast and make them soggy)

Combine chili powder, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.  Rub all over the roast.  Place chopped onions and garlic in bottom of slow cooker.  Place coated roast on top.  In another small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, cider, chicken broth, honey, and worcestershire sauce and pour over meat.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Remove meat to a serving platter and shred with 2 forks.  Remove one cup of cooking juices from slow cooker and reserve.  Return shredded meat to slow cooker and turn heat up to high.  Cook for 1 hour longer.  Reheat reserved juices and serve along with the sandwiches (I did do that, but then we didn't end up using the juices).

Of course this smelled so great all day.  Steve was so happy to come home to this smell.  We ate about half of it, and will eat the rest for leftovers.  We had this with curly fries and baby carrots.  A very yummy meal, and once it was finally trimmed of fat and in the crock pot, pretty easy.   I bet you could have leftovers of this over mashed potatoes and it would be really yummy.

No comments: