Thursday, March 7, 2013

Peanut Butter Cup Napoleons

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have still been busy!  Tonight I'm posting 3 recipes I've made over last week and half or so.  Last Sunday after church I made these Napoleons.  I had no idea there was a dessert named Napoleon.  The two Napoleons I was familiar with were the French dictator and, of course, Napoleon Dynamite.  Since I've made this, I've mentioned the title of it to a few people, and they were like "mmmmmmmm" and they didn't seem to not know it was a dessert.  So it must be more common than I realized.  This is the last recipe I have marked from last month's Simple & Delicious.  So it should be about time for my new one to come...

Peanut Butter Cup Napoleons
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 cups ice cream with peanut butter cup pieces, softened
3/4 cup butterscotch/caramel ice cream topping
3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup chocolate covered peanuts (I left these out.  Nobody really likes peanuts here)

Unfold puff pastry.  Cut into eight 4 1/2 by 2 1/4 inch rectangles (I certainly did not measure...I just unfolded and cut into 8 approximately equal pieces.  I recommend this method).  Place on a greased baking sheet.  Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely on wire rack.

Scoop 1/2 cup ice cream onto each of four pastries.  Top with remaining pastries.  Freeze until serving.

Combine ice cream topping and peanut butter in small microwave safe bowl.  Cover and microwave on high 30-45 seconds or until warmed.  Drizzle over napoleons and sprinkle with peanuts.

These were pretty good.  In general I don't like ice cream with pastries or cake, because I don't like how the melting ice cream makes whatever else is there soggy.  But the puff pastry held up pretty well.  The ice cream topping/peanut butter combo wasn't as yummy as I was hoping for, and it also made way too much for the recipe.  And some whipped cream on top would have been yummy.  I can't have regular ice cream now (stupid developing lactose intolerance) so I made my own PB ice cream, Cold Stone style.  I chopped a peanut butter cup and combined it with a big spoonful of peanut butter and a scoop of Lactaid ice cream, then had my ice cream mixer (Steve) stir it like crazy.  This was fun to make and good for a change, but I don't think we'll make it again. 

No comments: