Wednesday, March 13, 2013

One Pot Spaghetti

Back in the day, before I was a good cook, I used to make Hamburger Helper a lot.  It was so yummy.  I still think that.  But I don't buy it anymore, because I have found other ways to make similar quick recipes that are healthier, if not due to the fat and sodium content, at least due to the lack of preservatives.  So this one sounded like something along those lines, easy and yummy.  It was last night's supper.  This is from the Southern Living 2000 Annual Recipes.

One Pot Spaghetti
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth (I used 4 cups homemade broth)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt (use more salt if using homemade broth, we had to add salt at the table)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp garlic powder (I used 1/4 tsp because it's yummy)
1/4 tsp pepper
7 oz uncooked spaghetti, broken into 3-inch pieces
Grated parmesan cheese

Cook beef and onion in a large skillet until no longer pink; drain.  Stir in broth, tomato paste, salt, oregano, garlic powder, and pepper.  Bring to a boil; add pasta.  Reduce heat and simmer (it doesn't say to cover but I did, because I was afraid too much liquid would boil off), stirring often, for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.  Sprinkle with cheese.

Nathan did almost all of the actual cooking part and felt very proud of himself.  I of course cut the onion and opened the cans and measured the spices, but he did the stirring and all that, on a stool in front of the stove.  He was very careful and very cute.  Emma made her famous garlic bread to go with this meal.  It was very yummy, and so easy 2 kids could make it.  Ha ha.  But seriously it was good.  I wish it had been a wee bit saucier, to have sauce to dip the garlic bread into, but that can be adjusted for next time.  I'm sure we'll have this again.

No comments: