Saturday, January 28, 2017

Black Forest Mousse Dessert

My dad loves Black Forest Cake.  He was in Germany for several years as a (much) younger man and has fond memories of this actual genuine Black Forest Cake that his and my mom's landlady used to make.  I'm sure this dessert only tastes like the real thing in his memory...but this is the dessert he wants every year for his birthday dinner.  I've tried fancier (actual cake) versions that have been good also, but he hasn't asked for those again haha.  This is the thing he likes.  I can't blame him, because chocolate + fruit is usually very awesome.  I didn't make this GF, because that would be unfair (here's your dessert dad, and you probably won't like it...happy birthday. LOL).  They do make GF "oreos" but they are a far cry from the original...and they would probably disintegrate in the pudding layer of this dessert.  This is a recipe I've had for years so I can't exactly remember where it came from but I THINK it's from Kraft, because I used to get their magazine in the mail, and they had like 1001 recipes to do with pudding.

Black Forest Mousse Dessert
1 ½ cups cold milk
1 pkg (4-svg size) instant chocolate pudding
1 pkg (8 oz) cool whip, thawed
16 oreos, crushed
1 ½ cups canned cherry pie filling

Pour milk into a large bowl.  Add dry pudding mix.  Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended.  Fold in about 1 cup of the cool whip.

Set aside about 1/3 of the crushed oreos.  Stir remaining cookies into pudding mixture. 

Spoon half of the pudding mixture into a trifle dish or serving bowl.  Spread about 1 cup of remaining cool whip over pudding.  Top with half of the pie filling.  Top with remaining pudding mixture, remaining cool whip, and remaining pie filling.  Sprinkle with reserved oreo pieces.  Refrigerate until serving and refrigerate leftovers.

See how yummy?  And easy.  And my dad likes it.  Maybe yours will too.

No comments: