Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Chicken Meatball Noodle Bowl

This recipe is like real actual ramen.  The kind I've seen on cooking shows, not the kind that costs $0.19 per package. We have had this one other time, but it was during a time that I wasn't posting much.  So we had it again tonight and I decided to post it, because it's really yummy.  And makes me feel very chef-ish.  This recipe came from a Better Homes & Gardens gluten free magazine that either my mom or my sister got me (I can't remember but I know it came from one of them), the kind that you see at the check out. That magazine ended up having a lot of good things in it, so I'd buy another one if I ever saw it.  But I'd be mad if all the recipes inside were the same and all they'd changed was the cover.  This recipe calls for fresh cilantro and fresh ginger, but I found the best cheat for that (which I have mentioned before), which is those herbs and spices that come in a toothpaste-like tube by the refrigerated salad dressings.  It makes it easy to measure and way faster to prepare.  And the rice noodles are by the Chinese food at the grocery store.  Very easy to make, so if you've never used them before, don't worry.  You just boil the water, throw the noodles in, remove pan from heat, and wait 5 minutes. Done. Easy.

Chicken Meatball Noodle Bowl
4 oz dried thin rice noodles
12 oz ground chicken
2 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp lime juice
3 cups shredded leaf lettuce (we used the one that has carrots and red cabbage in the bag)
½ cup finely shredded carrot (I left this out since it was in the lettuce bag)
fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, and lime wedges for serving, optional

In a medium bowl combine the ground chicken, 2 tbsp cilantro, ginger, and salt.  Shape into 16 meatballs (if the meatballs seem mushy at this point, you can refrigerate them for 15 or 20 minutes before you proceed).

In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat.  Add meatballs.  Cook about 10 minutes or until no longer pink (165*), turning occasionally.  Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions; drain. Transfer meatballs to a plate.

For sauce, add the remaining 2 tbsp oil to the still-warm skillet.  Stir in the vinegar, honey, and lime juice (I combined this ahead of time and added it all at once.  I also reduced this on the stove a bit so it would thicken up, and also so it would lose some of that strong vinegar taste, which I do not enjoy).

Divide lettuce among bowls.  Top with noodles, carrot, and meatballs; drizzle with sauce.  If desired, garnish with additional cilantro, green onions, and lime wedges.

This tasted like a restaurant.  The younger two did not have it all together in the bowl, and ate just the noodles and meatballs separately, without the sauce.  The rest of us ate them as the recipe said.  This was so yummy.  And even though it had lots of steps, they weren't hard steps.  Since this is already the second time we've had this, I know we'll have it again.  Just try it.

No comments: