Monday, January 2, 2017

Jiffy Cinnamon Rolls

I don't miss much now that I've been gluten free for over 2 years.  But I do miss those cinnamon rolls in a can that pop open and make you almost want to duck for cover.  Last Christmas (I gave you my heart...oh wait sorry) I tried to make some using GF Bisquick as the base, because I just really wanted them.  But they were a disaster for Christmas morning :(  they didn't stick together, and rolling them out was awful.  And they didn't taste that great either.  But I saw this recipe in the Hiebert's Gluten Free Cooking cookbook...that's the one I got at the Amish store last spring.  I've tried a few other things from this book and liked them, so I decided to give it a shot.  We had some friends over for brunch today since it was an official holiday and we all had the day off.

Jiffy Cinnamon Rolls
2 cups GF flour (I use Bob's Red Mill in the blue bag)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp xanthan gum (omit if the flour blend has xanthan gum in it)(or if you're using regular glutinous white flour)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¼ cup cold butter
1 cup cold milk (may  need more)
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins
Glaze:
½ cup powdered sugar
dash vanilla
1-2 tbsp milk

Put flour, sugar, xanthan gum (if using), baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.  Cut in butter using pastry blender til crumbly.  Make a well in the center.  Pour in milk.  Stir to form a soft dough, adding a bit more milk if needed.  Turn out onto lightly floured (with GF flour) surface.  Knead.  Roll into rectangle and 1/3 inch thick and 12 inches long.

Cream softened butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon together.  Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.  Place one measured teaspoon of the softened butter mixture into the bottom of each of the muffin wells.  Spread remaining mixture over the dough rectangle.  Sprinkle raisins over the top.

Roll up, jelly roll style (starting with long side).  Cut into 12 slices.  Place cut side down in muffin pan.  Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.  Turn out onto tray while still hot (or carefully move them to a plate, placing them upside down so the sticky side is up). 

Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cinnamon rolls.  Serve warm.

Ok guys look how yummy these turned out!
I am so so happy with this recipe.  We had 8 people eating, so everybody got one, and some lucky people got two. 

The dough was a bit tricky to work with, and I had to be very careful when I was rolling it up, but overall it was fine.  You should cut this with a dough scraper if you have one, but if not, then a very sharp knife. 

We will definitely be having this again.  Maybe really soon.  Seriously I'm so happy with how it turned out.


No comments: