Friday, October 17, 2008

Baked Apple Donuts

This is something I have made for a long time, but I am putting it on now because Lisa asked for the recipe. I found this one in like 2005, in my pre-blog days, so it wasn't on here yet anyway. It is such a yummy way to use apples this time of year!

Baked Apple Donuts
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup butter
1 cup grated apple (no peel)
1 cup vanilla yogurt
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted (may need more)
1 cup sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon

Combine first 5 ingredients. Cut in butter w/ pastry blender. In separate bowl, combine apple, yogurt, and eggs; stir into flour mixture. Divide and spoon into greased muffin tin. Bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from tins and roll in melted butter, then into cinnamon sugar mixture. Makes 18.

So these are so so so yummy. Back when we were doing bake sales for Haiti I would make like a triple batch every Saturday and they always sold out. I quickly grew tired of grating apple, and thought I would use applesauce in one batch. They were still okay but the muffins were a bit tougher, not as moist. So I would stick with the grated apple. After we stopped the bake sales I said I would not make these again for a very long time, and it must be true because I have not made them since. Time to dust off the recipe, I guess. Thanks for the reminder Lisa!!

2 comments:

Krista said...

I was googling something today and ran into your blog. It was fun to spend an hour at work reading. :)

krista
dallas, texas

NewRecipeNight said...

Thanks for the feedback!!