Monday, October 6, 2008

Banana Bread

I already have a recipe for banana bread that I usually use, but I don't love it. I also have a recipe for banana muffins that I got from Lisa, and I do really like that, but I don't know how that would translate into a loaf. So I thought I would try this one from the Taste of Home cookbook since I had ripe bananas. This one uses sour cream, which I think is a bit odd...and this banana bread is slightly less banana-y than my usual recipe...but the loaves were bigger than the other recipe. So I am torn. Guess I still don't have a recipe that I love...but here's this one anyway...

Banana Bread
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (instead I used mini chocolate chips...so much better)

In a lg mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas and sour cream. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir into banana mixture just until moistened. Fold in nuts (or chocolate chips). Transfer to greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pan. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.

I used some wheat flour with this recipe as well, to make it a little bit healthier. Of course it made it a bit heavier as well. But the kids liked it. Except Nathan. But one day I thought Emma would turn into a loaf of it, because she had it for supper the night I made it, then breakfast and lunch the next day. She said she loves banana bread. Obviously. So I guess my search continues...

No comments: