Friday, October 24, 2008

Johnny Appleseed Cake

This is my mom's recipe. It is featured in the awesome cookbook from the church my dad pastors on Deer Isle...in Oceanville. Doesn't that sound like a made up town name from a novel? But it is a real place, I have been there a few times so I am sure of it. Anyway this cake has a very "fall" feel to it, plus you have it with whipped cream instead of frosting so I'm sure it's healthier. Steve is on a diet, so we had a little bit of cake at home, then I took the rest to work, where it flew off the plate (I got there at 1:30 and it was gone by 2:30). So I would say this is a good choice. I have made this before (I think) but not in recent memory, so here it is for intersted parties (Autumn).

Johnny Appleseed Cake
1 stick margarine (I used butter because I LOVE butter...now that Steve is back to working full-time I can buy butter exclusively so this is a very exciting time for me)
1 3/4 cup sweetened applesauce
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Once butter is melted, add it plus the applesauce and raisins to the dry mixture. Mix well. Pour into 11x7 or 9" square pan (I used 11x7 which I think is the way to go because then you get more pieces), greased on bottom only. Bake 40-45 minutes (check often after 35 minutes)(my Mom's advice, not mine). Serve with whipped cream.

So I think this was so moist and tasty. It almost reminded me of gingerbread, but not as dark and spicy. You should definitely try this one.

No comments: