Friday, October 24, 2008

Chicken and Rice Dinner

So this is what we had for supper on Wednesday night. I thought it looked like an easy yummy way to make chicken and rice. And it was real rice, not minute rice, so I thought that was a plus. But my usual problem with rice happened here, too: it doesn't cook all the way! It is still chewy, like "al dente" pasta or something. Maybe I am just too used to Rice a Roni enjoy the real deal, I don't know. But here it is (from Taste of Home cookbook pg 160).

Chicken and Rice Dinner
1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 1/2 to 4 lbs) cut up (for a reminder, you do not have to do this nasty job...you can buy the chicken already cut up, without giblets, at the Wal-Mart, for under 5 dollars...it does have the neck though, so gross...just throw that part away)
1/4 to 1/3 cup flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/3 cup water
1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
chopped fresh parsley (I left this out, as I almost always do with senseless and sometimes expensive garnishes)

Dredge chicken pieces in flour. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil over medium heat. In a large bowl, combine the next 6 ingredients. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with chicken. Cover lightly with foil and bake @ 350 for 55 minutes or until rice and chicken are tender. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. 6 servings.

So I am not keeping this one. It was okay, and we had the leftovers yesterday, but the kids really don't like rice, and I don't like undercooked rice (I think it's undercooked at least) so that's that.

No comments: