Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Triple Layer Peanut Butter Brownies

When I saw this recipe in the Fall 2008 Kraft Food & Family, I instantly knew I would be making it for my brownie-loving, peanut butter-loving family. It was pretty easy to make and of course tasted very yummy. I actually made this on Monday when it was still September, but due to the busyness of late, couldn't put it up until today. So October's numbers are totally going to be off. If I even kept track of them, they would be.

Triple Layer Peanut Butter Brownies
1 pkg brownie mix, prepared in 13x9 pan
1 cup cold milk
1 pkg (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups cool whip (do no thaw)
3 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped (I left these out because Steve doesn't like nuts (even though he loves peanut butter so that makes no sense) and Sam thinks he doesn't like them because he threw up once after he ate a bunch of peanuts. I have told him the two events are unrelated and it was like 2 years ago but he is quite sure about this)

Make brownie mix according to box directions. While brownies are cooling, whisk milk and pudding in a bowl for 2 minutes. Add peanut butter and sugar; mix well. Cover and refrigerate until brownies are completely cool. Spread pudding mixture over brownies. Microwave frozen cool whip and baking chocolate on high for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds (I had to do this for 1 min 30 seconds). Spread over pudding; sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate 1 hour. Refrigerate leftovers.

So these were quite delicious. Couple of problems...you cannot eat them like a regular brownie, you have to eat it like cake, with a fork. Nathan would not touch these. He was very excited when I asked him if he wanted a brownie, but then when he saw one he was like "NO NO NO NO" etc. But everyone liked them. The peanut butter layer was runnier than I thought it would be by looking at their picture. But of course Steve loved these so I will be saving the recipe.

No comments: