Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chicken Tater Bake

That's what the recipe makers called this one, but Steve thinks it should be called Chicken Tot Pie because it is like chicken pot pie but instead of a pie crust or mashed potatoes, it has tater tots on the top. This is what we had last night. One thing I liked about it was that it makes two, one for right now and one to freeze, which is always handy. But this was just so-so. It was quite tasty, but I also have chicken pot pie recipes that I like way better. This was easy, but so are most of the other recipes along these lines. But anyway it was still good. If you are a tot lover like Napoleon you will probably love it. It's from Simple & Delicious May/June 2008.

Chicken Tot Pie
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, cubed
3 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 pkg (32 oz) frozen tater tots

In a large saucepan, combine the soup, milk, and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Remove from heat; stir in chicken, peas and carrots, and 1 cup cheese. Transfer to 2 greased 8x8 square baking dishes. Top with tots; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake remaining casserole at 350 for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake another 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. To use frozen casserole: Remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake @ 350 for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles, 6 servings each.

Okay like I said, not too bad. I did use the peas and carrots, because Steve claims that chicken pot pie with peas and carrots is the best way. I don't agree, but I do want my children to like more things than me, so I put them in. They ate them (hee hee). I had a little mountain of peas on the side of my plate, and Emma patted my arm and said "You like peas, bemember?" But she is wrong. I said, nope I don't, but I still want you to try them. Sam told her that if she eats them with a bite of something else you can't even taste them. I have heard this trick before and it has never worked for me. But it did for her. Nathan of course was like "I don't think so, where is my pressed fake chicken nuggets or no-real-meat-hot dog?" Anyway...that's the story. This was also the last recipe of this issue so it's on to the next one! Hooray!

No comments: