Monday, September 1, 2008

Colorful Chicken Pizza

Because you cut up crayons on it. Nah, just kidding. It's because it has red & green pepper. Anyway, we had this for lunch after church yesterday. It was very good, but Emma and Nathan had chicken nuggets. I knew they wouldn't like it and didn't want a battle. Sam had some but I could tell he wasn't crazy about it when he left some on his plate. He is getting to be a big eater, and usually finishes a lot of food as fast as Steve does, leaving me & Emma still chewing and talking long after they are done...this one is from Simple & Delicious May/June 2008.

Colorful Chicken Pizza
1 Boboli pizza crust (14 oz) (I used whole wheat, which only weighed 10 oz, but it was fine)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pkg (6 oz) ready-to-serve grilled chicken breast strips (they won't tell you, but I will...they're Oscar Mayer and they're near like the prepared chicken pot pies and stuff...and they only cost $2.69, which is way less than what I was expecting)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded pizza cheese blend
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
2 oz smoked gouda cheese, shredded (I left this out)
2 tbsp minced fresh basil (I left this out, too...I don't like mincing herbs so I was going to use dried, but I just forgot about it)

Place the crust on an ungreased 12-in pizza pan (I used my lg Pampered Chef round stone). Brush with oil. Combine the chicken, barbecue sauce, onion, and garlic; spoon half over crust. Sprinkle with pizza cheese. Top with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with peppers, gouda cheese, and basil. Bake @ 450 for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. 6 slices.

Okay so this was good, but small. There might be 6 slices, but not 6 servings. The three of us cleaned it up. We decided this would be good if we had friends over, and just the 4 grownups ate the pizza, and if you had a salad or something to stretch it, and the kids had peanut butter and jelly. But it was yummy. Very gourmet, and I think moderately healthy. Cheese is good for you, containing calcium, a necessary nutrient for bone health. So this is a keeper!

No comments: