Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Garlic Beef Enchiladas

So we had this last Friday but we have been so crazy busy that this is the first time I have been able to sit down and put it in. And technically, I don't really have the time to do it right now either but I want to get it in so I can file it away and off my counter...it was quite good, from Taste of Home pg 107. This was my first foray into Mexican cooking that did not involve Old El Paso or Ortega, so I wasn't sure how it would go, but it was good. It smelled yummy too.

Garlic Beef Enchiladas
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes

Sauce:
4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 to 2 tbsp chili powder
1 to 2 tsp ground cumin
1 to 2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp salt
10 flour tortillas (7 inches)
2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese

In a saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour and seasonings until blended. Stir in tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer x 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings; heat through. Pour about 1 1/2 cups of the sauce into an ungreased 13x9 baking dish. Spread about 1/4 cup beef mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 1-2 tbsp cheese. Roll up tightly; place seam side down over sauce. Top with the remaining sauce. Cover and bake @ 350 for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

So I would call this a success. We had filling and sauce left over even after our tortillas were all filled. It's still in the fridge, not sure what to do with it without tortillas and cheese. On all the spices that had a range, I used the lower range because I don't like spicy stuff, and it wasn't spicy, just flavorful. So I suppose if you like spicy you should go higher. Okay that's it for now...also I made a dessert yesterday which I will list separately.

No comments: