Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cappuccino Mousse Trifle

So last night was my mom and my little guy's birthday (one turned 53, the other 2...you can guess who was who). So for Nathan we had cupcakes, courtesy of this awesome caterer we know, and for Mom we had this. Steve hates coffee and coffee-flavored things (this and strawberries are the only things he doesn't like. Oh, and raisin-containing foods) so I can only make things like this when we are having people over. Of course, I could make them and eat them all myself, but that wouldn't be a good thing. As it is, I have half of this left over that I have to eat all by myself. But it was really good. This recipe came with my Pampered Chef trifle dish. This is the first time I used the dish that I really wanted. Jessi says I should mark the box with tally marks to prove that I'm using it. That way when I want another specialty dish and Steve says I will never use it, I can say, "Yes I do use my specialty dishes. As you can see by these tally marks, I used this trifle dish on Nathan's birthday. What's the matter, don't you love our children?" And he will let me get the dish.

Cappuccino Mousse Trifle
1 16 oz frozen pound cake (I used Sara Lee)
2 1/2 cups cold milk
1/3 cup instant coffee granules
2 pkg (3.4 oz each) vanilla instant pudding
16 oz cool whip, thawed, divided
1 square semi-sweet baking chocolate, grated
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Cut pound cake into 1 inch cubes; set aside. Whisk together milk and instant coffee; let stand 5 minutes or until dissolved. Set aside 1 cup of the milk mixture. Add pudding mixes to remaining milk mixture; whisk until it begins to thicken. Gently fold in half of the cool whip. To assemble trifle, place half of the cake cubes into the bottom of trifle bowl, pressing down gently. Pour half the reserved milk mixture evenly over cake cubes. Top with half of the pudding mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 of the grated chocolate over pudding. Repeat layers one time (reserve remaining chocolate for garnish). Spread remaining cool whip over entire top of trifle, creating a smooth surface. Sprinkle remaining chocolate and cinnamon over the cool whip. 10 servings.

So I'm pretty sure everyone liked this. Even though Corinne, Grampie's girlfriend, left like 2 bites on her plate. I wanted to say "what's wrong with my dessert? Eat it!" But I didn't, I just threw it away. But my in-laws, my parents, my sister, and Grampie all ate it. Then Steve's friend Simon came over and he ate some too. So this is a keeper, even though I can't make it again until there's a big to-do over something. And even then I probably won't make this exact thing again because I have other recipes I want to try in this thing. One of them contains strawberries...

No comments: