Thursday, July 8, 2010

Beef and Bean Wraps

This is the last recipe I have marked from the Church Potluck Slow Cooker cookbook that my mom got me last Christmas. Not bad, it's July and I'm finishing it up. This cookbook was on hiatus while I worked through the cooking magazines my sister had brought me, but now I am ready to finish this one off. We love this type of food, so of course I wanted to make it. I tried making homemade tortillas to accompany this (see separate post) but had to give up and buy store-bought ones.

Beef and Bean Wraps
2 pounds ground beef
2 onions, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 15 oz can refried beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
2 10 oz cans enchilada sauce
1 4 oz can chopped green chiles, drained (I left these out)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
12 6-inch tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (we used shredded Mexican)
1 cup sour cream (nope)
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 cups shredded lettuce

In a large skillet, cook ground beef with onions and garlic over medium heat, stirring to break up beef, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Combine beef mixture with refried beans, kidney beans, enchilada sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in 4-quart slow cooker; mix well. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or until mixture is hot and blended. If necessary, thicken with a mixture of 2 tbsp cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Serve mixture with tortillas, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, and lettuce, and let people make their own wraps. (They say that because they think that you're going to bring it to a potluck. If you have small children, you should in no way let them make their own wraps. hahaha)

This was, as I expected, very very good. The consistency was kind of like chili, even after I thickened it, so it was kind of messy to eat, especially for the kiddos. But it was very tasty. We have about 2/3 of it left over. So if you have a regular sized family like us, you may just want to make half of this. I could freeze it, but I don't think beans freeze/defrost very well. Maybe I will make some cornbread and pretend it's chili...

No comments: