Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

This is from that cookbook my mother-in-law gave me a L-O-N-G time ago. I had started going through it a few months ago, then stopped as I was working through those cooking magazines. Anyway I have 3 more recipes marked in it, and I'm hoping to finish it off in these next 2 weeks. So even though this is a soup and it's July, we're going for it. The high today was only mid-70s so that is soup weather compared to last week.

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
2 turkey drumsticks (about 1 1/2 lbs)(Walmart doesn't have these, and Hannaford only had them in packs of 3. So we had 3 drumsticks in our soup)
2 cups chopped tomatoes (about 2 large)(it has been a long time since I chopped tomatoes. I think they smell gross when you cut them up)
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice (I couldn't find wild rice at Walmart or Hannaford. I ended up buying Rice a Roni Long Grain & Wild, and throwing away the seasoning packet...seemed like the best alternative)
3 1/2 cups water
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
2 bay leaves

Remove skin from turkey drumsticks (much easier said than done, these turkeys seem to be more attached to their skin than their chicken counterparts) and discard. Mix turkey and remaining ingredients in Dutch oven. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 50-60 minutes or until juices of turkey run clear and rice is tender. Remove turkey from Dutch oven; cool about 5 minutes. Remove turkey meat from bones; cut meat into bite-size pieces. Stir turkey into soup. Heat until hot. Remove bay leaves. 6 servings.

Okay so this wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Rather bland, I had to add a lot of salt to mine, but Steve didn't add any to his and said "you always think it needs salt." Well, he is right about that, often I do. The kids each picked out what they liked about it. And even with adding the extra drumstick, it was still about 6 servings. I thought this was dairy free, but my sister pointed out that bouillon granules have a milk derivative. Who knew? So if that is an issue for you and you want to make this, you could start out with dairy-free chicken broth instead of water and bouillon.

No comments: