Thursday, July 8, 2010

Homemade Tortillas

So I wanted to make homemade tortillas to go with the recipe we're having for supper, which I will post later tonight. I have seen on facebook that other friends of mine have made their own tortillas. They still seem perfectly sane, that is that the experience did not send them over the edge or anything. It seems like a reasonable undertaking; store-bought tortillas are not that expensive but they are loaded with other ingredients, and this recipe that I saw in the June/July 2010 Taste of Home only had 4. That sounded healthier to me. So I thought I would try it real quick before I leave for my appointment. I'm glad I tried it this morning, instead of after I got home, because now I can stop and get tortillas on the way home...

Homemade Tortillas
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
3 tbsp olive oil

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times (this is as far as I got, but I'll put down the rest of the recipe anyway). Divide dough into 8 portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-inch circle. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm.

Okay. The dough was definitely too wet. I should have recognized that while it was still in the bowl, before I "turned" it (plopped it) out onto my Pampered Chef pastry roller out thing. Once I realized it was too sticky, I kept adding more flour, trying to knead it in so it would be the right consistency for rolling out. I had at least 1/4 of the dough on my hands. No matter how much I added, it stayed too stretchy and sticky. Then I remembered that the more you handle flour-based recipes, the tougher the dough becomes. This led me to carry the whole goopy mess over to the trash and throw it away. It all stuck to me, I had to scrape it off. What a mess. So. I guess I am sticking to store-bought tortillas.

1 comment:

LaniQ said...

I just want to encourage you to try again, homemade tortillas taste SO much better than the store bought. But yes, the dough does have to be dry enough to handle and roll out, don't give up, it is worth it in the end. I always make mine in my kitchenaid mixer and add the water slowly so as to not add too much.