Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sunflower Seed & Honey Wheat Bread

I have been waiting for a day that was not blistering hot to make these, so today was the day. It's warm but not humid. Usually we make our own bread, in a bread maker. In fact, except for a few loaves we bought just after my surgery, we have been doing this for about a year. Pretty exciting. Homemade bread tastes SO much better, and it's better for you in that it doesn't have preservatives, etc. Still has calories, unfortunately, ha ha. Nathan was our last hold out, but now even he will eat PB & J on homemade bread. Still won't eat the crust though, but this is big progress! I made oatmeal bread a couple of months ago and he decided he liked it. I should post that recipe, too, maybe. But anyway, this recipe sounded good to me, even though it's "by hand" instead of in the machine. It actually didn't take as long as I thought it would, mixing it up or whatever. It's from one of the Taste of Home magazines my sister gave me. Feb/March 2010.

Sunflower Seed & Honey Wheat Bread
2 pkg active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp yeast if you buy it in bulk)
3 1/4 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
1/4 cup bread flour
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup honey
3 tsp salt
6 1/2 to 7 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I bought whole wheat bread flour that I saw at the Natural Living Center, but it doesn't specify so I bet you could use King Arthur, which is my usual wheat bread flour)
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
3 tbsp butter, melted

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bread flour, oil, honey, salt, and 4 cups whole wheat flour (if you have a Kitchen Aid this would be much easier. If you don't, see if your husband will get you one for Christmas...). Beat until smooth. Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (I ended up using 7 cups total...I think I could have used a bit more but I don't have a good feel yet for what bread dough is supposed to look or feel like).

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; divide into 3 portions. Shape into loaves; place in 3 greased 8x4 inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake @ 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. 3 loaves, 12 slices each

So even though this wasn't hard, I can see why I use the breadmaker more. You have to be right there when the bread is done rising, etc, so it's not as easy as "set it and forget it" like a breadmaker. This just came out of the oven and I cut into a loaf, spread a piece with butter, and ate it. This was much lighter (in texture) than other whole wheat breads I have made, I bet it's because I used the bread flour. Can't wait to try it toasted in the morning!

2 comments:

Sue said...

This sounds yummy Monika. Would you share your bread machine recipes? I'm always looking for new ones.

Sue said...

By the way...Me is actually Sue ;-)