Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chicken Pilaf

In my continuing and dramatic quest to get my children to eat/perhaps even like rice, I wanted to make this. A small wrinkle in the plan was that my mom took the kids to her house today for the afternoon, to include supper, and they aren't even going to be eating it. Ha ha. Well, it made a bunch so they can always have it for leftovers, right? This is the last one from the cookbook I mentioned last week, Betty Crocker's New Choices Cookbook.

Chicken Pilaf
1 cup uncooked regular long grain rice (I bought brown rice. Because it's better for you and stuff.)
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup dry white wine or apple juice (guess which one I used? You're right. The wine. haha just kidding. We always have an abundant supply of apple juice...)
1 tbsp chopped fresh or 1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
3-3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen peas
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I left this out...I don't think parsley does anything anyway. I might be wrong about that, but it seems like it's only for garnish, and the greenness of it makes the kids think they don't like it, so I left it out)

Spray 3 quart saucepan with cooking spray. Heat pan over med-high heat. Heat rice in pan about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown; reduce heat to medium. Stir in onions, wine/juice, thyme, and pepper. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in 1 cup of the broth. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated. Stir in additional 1 cup broth, cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated. Stir in chicken, peas, and 1 cup of remaining broth. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth if needed to keep rice from sticking (I didn't need to add any more). Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and rice is tender and chicken is white; remove from heat. Stir in parsley. 6 servings.

This wasn't hard, just a bit time consuming. In the pan it looks like something we would possibly eat in Haiti...I have a picture I took of it that I'll add in later. I had to add salt to mine. But I used homemade chicken broth, so maybe if you used canned or boxed broth you wouldn't need to. Steve liked it, of course. But I can't tell you about the kids. I do know they liked the peanut butter and fluff that they had at Oma's house!

No comments: