Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hearty BBQ Beef Sandwiches

This recipe is out of a cookbook I've had for a while, Lipton Recipe Secrets The Magic of Flavor. I can't remember where I got it, if it was a gift or not. It was the next one in line on my cookbook shelf, so I did manage to find 3 recipes out of it that I'm going to make, but I don't think I'll keep the cookbook in the long run...some cookbooks I've never made anything out of, but I keep because of sentimental value or whatever. But this one I can't really remember anything about, so...the publication date is 1999.

Hearty BBQ Beef Sandwiches
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 cups water
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 3-lb boneless chuck roast
8 kaiser rolls, toasted

Preheat oven to 325. In Dutch oven or 5 quart saucepot, combine soup mix, water, chili sauce, and brown sugar. Add roast. Cover and bake 3 hours or until roast is tender. Remove roast; reserve juices. Bring reserved juices to a boil over high heat, boil 4 minutes. Meanwhile, with fork, shred roast. Stir roast into reserved juices and simmer, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Serve on rolls. 8 servings

This smelled awesome while it was in the oven. We have all the windows open today, and Steve said he could smell it in the driveway. I cannot confirm if this is true, but it might be. This came out rather watery, even after I did all the steps, so I let it simmer until Steve got home, which ended up being about 30 minutes, on low. Nathan & Emma just ate the meat, not on the sandwich rolls, and they both liked it. It seemed a bit salty to me, but that's to be expected considering the ingredients...plenty of this leftover, which is good because we can have it tomorrow, since I will be not feeling like cooking after working all night tonight. A keeper...

No comments: