Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Apple-Spice Bread

This is for a bread maker. I got the recipe out of the recipe book that came with my bread maker. Which my friend Tiffany gave me, and which I use all the time. But this is the first time I've made this loaf so I thought I would share.

Apple-Spice Bread
2 pound loaf
1 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp butter, softened
4 cups bread flour (I used 3 cups white & 1 cup wheat)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp dry milk
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp apple pie spice (to make this, combine 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp allspice, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves, then measure out 1 tbsp for the recipe...I tripled this and put it in one of my Tupperware spice containers, which are way cool, so I will have some for other recipes)
2 tsp yeast
2/3 cup cut up dried apples

Place all ingredients in bread pan in order listed. This recipe says to bake it as a sweet bread. My bread maker has a BEEEEEEEP when you are supposed to add the apples (or other nut or fruit). If yours doesn't have the beep, you add it during the second time it kneads...about 45 minutes into the cycle or so...

This bread smelled great while it was cooking (like most breads, I suppose...). I used freeze-dried apples I got at the Natural Living Center, and they pretty much disintegrated into the bread. I'm not sure if that was supposed to happen or not. Next time I will use dehydrated apples, instead of freeze dried, and see if has little chunks of apple in it, like I was expecting. This bread made great toast. I'm sure I will make it again...

No comments: