Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cluck a l'Orange

There is a fancy recipe called Duck a l'Orange, and this recipe is an adaptation of it, using chicken instead of duck. Steve had never heard of the duck one, so the coolness of the name was lost on him. I've heard that duck is very fatty. Also it just doesn't sound tasty, although I suppose it is a member of the poultry family. Maybe most birds taste alike, all like chicken or something. Anyway this recipe is from the latest Rachael Ray magazine that my mom gets. Usually I don't find many things in them to make because of various reasons, but for the most part, if there is a recipe I try, I do like it, even if it does take more time/effort/ingredients than my usual stuff. So I thought I would try this one because I do like citrus-y stuff, and also I almost always have chicken breast. This is remarkably similar to the Lime Chicken we had last night, but oh well. Maybe no one will notice...by the time I noticed it was too late, I was already committed to the recipe.

Cluck a l'Orange
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Salt & pepper
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped (I couldn't find a shallot at Walmart or Hannaford...maybe I don't know what they look like and that's why...on Answers.com it says you can sub onion and garlic for shallot...to equal 1 shallot, sub 2/3 tsp minced onion and 1/3 tsp minced garlic...so that's what I did)
1 1/3 cups chicken broth
3 oranges, 1 juiced and 2 sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp butter

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with the flour (it says if you need the recipe to be gluten-free you can sub with cornstarch here for the same result). In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes; transfer to a plate.

Add remaining tbsp olive oil and the shallot (or shallot substitute) to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer until reduced by two-thirds. Add the orange juice and honey and season with salt. Return the chicken and any juices to the pan to reheat, turning. Transfer chicken to cutting board and thinly slice each breast on the diagonal, reserving the skillet (I think she means "save what's in the skillet").

Arrange the chicken on a plate and fan the orange rounds on top (in the picture they're peeled). Stir the butter into the skillet sauce and spoon over the chicken. Serve with rice and sauteed spinach or broccoli (yeah right...rice & corn for us ha ha).

This was so so so so so good. Really good. The oranges did add more work than I liked, so it's not like I'll make this every day or anything, but I am definitely keeping it and will definitely make it again. Yummmm!!

No comments: