Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Saucy Barbecued Chicken

This is a yummy-looking recipe from the TOH cookbook I got for Christmas. I love BBQ chicken...this one is made to go on the grill, but I put it in the oven instead...

Saucy Barbecued Chicken
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup corn syrup (gasp)
1/2 cup coke (as in, -a-cola)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup steak sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (obviously that would be way too much for us...just a dash)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke, optional (I happen to have this already so I used it)
1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds), cut up (as mentioned in other posts, I buy my chicken already cut up...and without giblets)

In large saucepan, combine first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring frequently.

Set aside 1 cup for basting. Store remaining sauce in refrigerator for another use (then why do they have you make so much??)

Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste with marinade; grill 5-10 minutes longer or until juices run clear, turning and basting frequently. I put it in the oven at 350 for about 1 hour, basting after 30 minutes.

The kids did not like the way the sauce smelled while it was simmering, but I thought it smelled great. I don't know why Yankee Candle doesn't make yummy food smells...ha ha maybe it would be gross in a candle, on second thought. But, it smelled great anyway...also now I have a ton of that BBQ sauce leftover. At least 2 cups, although I haven't measured it. What to do with all that? Because of the butter in it, when I put it in the fridge it got that circle of fat on top like you would expect something with butter in it to do. So I don't think I can use it as traditional barbecue sauce. I guess I understand why they did it, because it would be a pain to cut everything in the recipe into 3rds to make just what you need for one chicken. Maybe if you were cooking for a crowd and making 3 chickens this would be the right amount. Not sure if I can freeze the sauce, either. Anyway the kids LOVED this chicken. Nathan asked for 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths. Unheard of for him. Of course he didn't have a snack that afternoon, which is a good strategy, apparently. Definitely a keeper, and perhaps sooner than I expect, since I have all this sauce leftover...

No comments: