Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Homemade Ice Pops

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. At my Tupperware party I got some practically free popsicle molds, so I went in search of a recipe to put in them...I didn't want to just throw juice in there and freeze it because I thought it would be a mess when it melted. I found this one, which uses jello and kood aid powder. I'm not crazy about the additives, but I only paid $1.68 for enough ingredients to make at least 12 batches (not counting the sugar). If I was buying already-made popsicles, they would have the same additives, and perhaps more, and I'd be paying a lot more for them. This recipe makes a TON of liquid...I only have 6 popsicle molds...the lady who submitted this recipe said to put them into paper cups with a popsicle stick, but I'm not doing that. I did halve the recipe, knowing I would have too much, but still had enough to make at least 6 more...I shall have to be on the lookout for popsicle molds this summer at yard sales...anyway here is the recipe...

Homemade Ice Pops
1 3 oz pkg fruit flavored jello
1 unsweetened packet of kool-aid (they have a lot of these at Marden's right now for $0.06 each)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup boiling water

In a large pitcher, combine jello, kool aid mix, and boiling water. Stir until powders are dissolved. Add enough cold water to make 2 quarts. Pour into 3 oz paper drinking cups and freeze until hardened.

The drip factor on these was great...Sam and Emma had almost no drips, and Nathan, possibly the slowest popsicle eater ever, had minimal drips even though he took about 15 minutes to eat his (and I am not exaggerating that time at all). He did wrap a towel around his hand, but I don't know that he really needed to, he just hates sticky hands (he gets that from me). He threw the last little bit into the sink, and like 45 minutes later it wasn't all melted yet. Yay jello. So I will keep this recipe. I bet there are healthier things I could do, but these will be good for a hot day.

No comments: