Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fabulous Taco Salad

You know I am a sucker for Mexican-type food, except guacamole. So I wanted to try this recipe. It uses ground turkey instead of ground beef, which is much cheaper than ground beef and also nothing gross about ground turkey is featured in Food Inc, unlike ground beef. It's from the same TOH book as the other recent recipes I've been making.

Fabulous Taco Salad
1 pound extra-lean ground turkey (I bought 85% lean...I should've bought the 93% because it was a bit too fatty)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp olive oil (I added this but definitely did not need to due to the fattiness of the turkey)
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
6 cups torn romaine (we needed considerably less since the kids don't like lettuce...I just picked the green leaves out of the salad blend I buy ha ha)
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
1/2 cup salsa
(I also served this with tortilla chips on the side because we all really like them)

In large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the turkey, onion, and garlic in oil until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, and pepper; cook for 3-4 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro. Divide romaine among 4 plates; top each with 3/4 cup turkey mixture, 2 tbsp cheese, and 2 tbsp salsa. 4 servings

What I did is put chips on one half of the kids' plates and meat on the other half, and sprinkled with cheese. They put the meat on the chips and ate them like nachos. For Steve and I, I did use the lettuce, meat and cheese like they said, and had chips on the side. Steve really liked this, I thought it was okay, not great, and the kids mostly liked the chips. They were (predictably) freaked out by the cilantro and tomatoes. But they did okay plowing through it. I probably won't keep this recipe though, because they like taco-seasoned flavored beef so well...but, as my mom would say, good for a change.

No comments: