Saturday, July 16, 2011

French Quarter Spread

This is an appetizer I made for home fellowship last night. I knew the kids wouldn't like it. That's why I made it for home fellowship...also it has pecans in it. A nut that I really like to eat. But I HATE the name. I hate both common ways of pronouncing it--pee-can or pick-ahhn. I just try to say it really fast when I say it so that I don't have to commit to either one. Becky suggested I just say it a different way, like peckins. That's what I'm going with for now. This is from Simple & Delicious April/May 2011.

French Quarter Spread
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp grated onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (I just used regular...but I should start buying dark...seems like it's been in a lot of things lately)
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp mustard
1 cup finely chopped peckins, toasted
Assorted crackers (the picture has it with Ritz crackers so that's what I bought)

In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, onion, and garlic. Transfer to a serving plate and shape into a 6-inch disk. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, and mustard. cook and stir over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in peckins.

Cool slightly. Spoon over cream cheese mixture. Serve with crackers.

Some people really liked this. Steve wasn't crazy about it. Most kids didn't even try it, but some of them did. The kids did enjoy the Ritz crackers, however. There were none left. I am keeping this one because it would be good for a party. And it was so easy to make. Also I could serve this to Steve for supper one night if I am mad at him. HA! Just kidding, that doesn't happen at our house =o) But really it doesn't.

No comments: