Thursday, July 28, 2011

Very Best Barbecue Beef Sandwiches

I have had pulled pork sandwiches before, but never tried making beef ones myself. These sounded yummy, and I had all the ingredients already, except the beef. Which was kind of expensive. It calls for a 3-4 lb piece of meat, and at Walmart they only had 2 1/2 lb pieces of that cut, and it was $10.67. But I justified it (as I can do with almost anything I want...it's a talent of mine) because I know we will get at least 2 meals out of it, if not more. So really it's less than $5 per meal. You may not be able to make the same justification if you have to buy any of these ingredients, but you might. It's from Simple & Delicious June/July 2011.

Very Best Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 lbs)
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
12 kaiser rolls, split
Dill pickle slices

Cut roast in half. Place in 5 quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, onion, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, celery seed, paprika, and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove meat. Skim fat from cooking juices (challenging); transfer to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

When meat is cool enough to handle (I didn't wait...it's not like I'm touching it with my bare hands or anything), shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker and stir in sauce mixture; heat through. Serve on rolls with pickle slices if desired. 12 servings.

Nathan did not like this. The rest of us did though. I think if I had left some of the meat out for him and not put the sauce on it, he would have eaten it. It was so yummy and tender. Usually Emma's main complaint about meat is that it takes too long to chew and she has to drink a bunch of milk to get her bite down. But she didn't complain about that at all. Sam, Steve, and I had ours as actual sandwiches. Very very yummy. And enough left over for a whole second meal.

No comments: