Monday, July 18, 2011

Ham & Cheese Ziti

This was originally something I wanted to make because it had a recipe for a big baked ham, and then you use the leftovers to make this. But then I knew how expensive a whole ham would be, and also how much we would have leftover. Way more than we needed. We would have ham coming out our ears, and Steve doesn't really like it that much anyway. So I had some ham steaks in the freezer and just used one of those. It's just a glorified mac & cheese, but we like that sort of thing. From Simple & Delicious.

Ham & Cheese Ziti
1 pkg (16 oz) ziti (I used whole wheat pasta, which is only 13.25 oz, but it's still fine)
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups cooked cubed ham
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (did you think for a quick second that I actually used this? I didn't! I used frozen green beans...about 1 1/2 cups)

Prepare ziti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cheeses, garlic powder, and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted.

Drain ziti; add to sauce mixture. Stir in ham and spinach (or green beans). Transfer to greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until heated through (yes, even though it's like 90 degrees, I still did that...why not, it's so stinking hot anyway!!).

Okay so this was pretty good. Nothing spectacular but very yummy. We had 8 people eating this (Melissa's fam was here too) and we still have 1/3 of this leftover for later in the week, which I love. My kids don't like whole wheat pasta, but that's too bad, because that's what we eat now. So they'll get used to it. Or else they won't. So I'll keep it, because it was easy and good.

No comments: