Saturday, June 2, 2012

Nutter Butter Truffles

This was the dessert I made for home fellowship.  Only a few ingredients.  It was a kind of expensive recipe to make, but used less than half of the dipping chocolate it called for, so I can save that for another use.  From Simple & Delicious.

Nutter Butter Truffles
1 pkg (1 lb) Nutter Butter cookies
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
8 oz milk chocolate candy coating, melted
3 oz white candy coating, melted (both of those were with the baking chocolate at Walmart)
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted (I used semi-sweet because I already had it)

Place cookies in food processor (or big Tupperware choppy thing); cover and process until finely crushed.  Add cream cheese; process until blended.  Roll into 1-inch balls.

Dip half of the balls in milk chocolate, allowing excess to drip off.  Place on waxed paper.  Repeat with remaining balls and white coating.  Drizzle bittersweet chocolate over truffles.  Let stand until set.  Store in airtight container in fridge.

The semisweet chocolate I used instead of the bittersweet didn't really harden like the candy coating did.  If I made these again I would only use the milk chocolate coating, because I have so much left of each of them.  The kids liked rolling them into balls and dipping them in the chocolate.  They kept saying, "I am so tempted to lick my fingers!!"  But I would not let them because I am mean.  Once we were all totally done I did let them lick their fingers though.  You could make these with Oreos, too, I bet.

These looked great, very "professional," Lisa said.  They didn't taste as good as I wanted them to, though. I think I expected them to be more peanut-buttery.  The kids seemed to like them, which is a rare thing in home fellowship desserts.  Also the recipe said it would make 40, but I only got 28 out of them, and mine were only 1 inch, uniformly scooped with my Pampered Chef medium scoop.  So, fun to do with the kids, but nothing I'll be dying to make again.

No comments: